Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Experimenting With Lightroom

I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Lightroom yesterday, and then went for a sunset walk around St Kilda and the city, to collect a bunch of photos to play with.

Verdict so far? Too early to say. I spent last night mostly just getting used to its quirks, as you do with any new non-trivial software when using it for the first time really. It's definitely faster than the software that came with my Olympus, and far more versatile than the basic photo editing software that comes with Windows 8.1, of course.

Most of what I did was simply twiddle a bit with the clarity and vibrance/saturation. Vibrance and saturation are typically the things that will be a little off with sunset shots, so I adjusted that to look less pale than it did raw.

The other "new" thing I did last with my photography was upping the ISO sensitivity and attempting to take some hand-held night shots in the city. The inspiration for this was simply that I didn't have my tripod with me - but then I thought it would be an interesting thing to try anyway. I maxed it out at ISO 2500, which isn't actually very high, but it was high enough to come up with some okay shots, and not too much noise.

So anyway, here's a sampling of shots from last night...

St Kilda Kite Surfers I

St Kilda Kite Surfers II

St Kilda Marina

St Kilda Pier Sunset I

St Kilda Pier Sunset II

St Kilda Sunset

Corner of Swanston and Flinders

Federation Square

Looking Up

Empty Carpark

Parliament House

Bourke Street

No comments:

Post a Comment